High St Works Zone: April 2017
Posted 27 March 2017
What is happening?
ALTRAC Light Rail will start construction work along High Street from Friday 31 March 2017. There will be major changes in the area during construction as High Street is closed to through traffic. The work zone will be established along High Street, between Wansey Road and Avoca Street.
- Gate 9 bus stops will move to various locations around the Randwick area.
- The 891 Express to Central will now depart from a new stop at Gate 8, as well as the existing stop at Gate 3.
- The 891 Express to UNSW will now drop off at Gate 8 and Gate 3 only, on the UNSW-side of High St.
- High Street will be open to westbound general traffic only, between Clara Street and Wansey Road. There will be no eastbound traffic in this section.
- Noise, dust and vibration monitoring will be conducted and, where practical, mitigation measures will be used to minimise impacts as much as possible.
Public transport changes
Routes 891, 348, 370, 400, 410, 418, 891 and M50 will use diverted routes and have new stopping arrangements. NB: The M50 will no longer stop near the UNSW Kensington campus. Instead it will run along Belmore Road in Randwick (about 9mins walk from Gate 9).
Plan ahead and allow extra travel time – look for pink signs at bus stops or visit transportnsw.info for the latest information.
To catch a Route 891 to Central Station
- Two bus stops will be in operation on the UNSW-side of High Street
- One bus stop will remain at Gate 3 (best access is via Gate 4 Fig Tree Lane)
- A new bus stop will be established at Gate 8 (best access via Morven Brown car park).
- Please queue carefully to the left of the footpath, to allow people to move past safely. Campus Security will monitor and assist with queue management at both locations.
- Please note, smoking is banned at all public transport stops and stations in NSW. The ban applies to areas where people queue or gather, regardless of whether it is covered or uncovered. On the spot fines of $300 may apply for anyone who fails to comply with the law. This means all areas around Gates 3 and 8 on High Street are no smoking zones.
Detailed Route Maps
High St services - Eastbound
High St services - Westbound
Bus Stop Closures and Relocations
The following bus stops will be closed:
- High Street near UNSW Gate 2
- High Street near Botany Street
- High Street near Gate 9 UNSW
- High Street near Wansey Road
- High Street near Prince of Wales Hospital
- High Street near Clara Street
- Randwick, High Street near Botany Street.
New bus stops near UNSW and the hospitals precinct will be provided on:
- High Street near UNSW Gate 8
- Barker Street near UNSW Gate 14
- Arthur Street near Clara Street
- Avoca Street after Belmore Road
- Botany Street near High Street.
- High Street will be closed to general traffic between Clara Street and Avoca Street.
- Between Clara Street and Wansey Road, High Street will be open to westbound general traffic only. There will be no eastbound traffic in this section.
- Traffic on High Street will be limited to 40km/hr between Avoca Street and Wansey Road and a 24-hour clearway will be implemented.
- Right turns from Botany Street northbound, Eurimbla Avenue and Hospital Road onto High Street will no longer be permitted.
- No left or right turn permitted from Avoca Street into High Street.
- Access to High Street will be via Belmore Road into Arthur Street and Clara Street; or Botany Street into Arthur Street and Clara Street; or Botany Street (southbound) right into High Street.
- All traffic heading east along High Street from Anzac Parade or UNSW will be detoured via Wansey Road and Arthur Street to the newly signalised intersection of Arthur Street and Botany Street.
- The taxi zone on High Street will be moved to Clara Street.
- Cyclists are advised to follow sign posted cycle routes and the general traffic detours. Check the TfNSW Alison Road/Botany St cycle detour map and the TfNSW Anzac Parade cycle detour map for details.
- Traffic control will be in place to assist motorists, pedestrians and cyclists with the new traffic arrangements in and around High Street.
You may experience some noise, dust and vibration during this work. Where possible, the noisiest work will be scheduled during the daytime and evening.
Work will occur during standard daytime hours:
- Monday to Friday, 6am to 6pm
- Saturday, 8am to 5pm.
- Night time and weekend work is necessary at times for safety and traffic reasons. When required, this will take place from 8pm to 6am.
- Noise and vibration monitoring will be conducted and, where practical, mitigation measures such as noise blankets will be used to minimise impacts as much as possible. Vehicles will be switched off when not in use to minimise noise. Respite periods will be provided for high noise work, such as saw cutting, jack hammering and rock breaking. Where required, any dust generating activities will be watered down.
- Every effort will be made to reduce the impact to residents and businesses while work takes place.
- For more information about the CBD and South East Light Rail work in the area, call 1800 684 490, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.sydneylightrail.com.au
- For urgent enquiries or complaints call the Light Rail 24-hour Construction Response Line: 1800 775 465
- For the latest information on traffic conditions related to construction in the area, visit www.livetraffic.com